12.30.2010

I FELT Crafty. Part 2

I had wanted to get this post up before Christmas was over but I think I was overly ambitious in that aspiration.  I decided to go ahead and post my creation since it really could be made in any color and put up at any time of year...

About a month ago now, I made some felt flowers for some bud vases I had around the house.  I liked them so much (and they were so easy to make) that I thought I would go ahead and create a wreath with some of the same flowers.  I've always thought of wreaths as being an old lady type thing but they can totally be a fun and modern element in any house.  

By the way, I promise I have more to talk about that home decorating, it's just been on my radar a lot lately with the holidays and it's fun to share:)


Here are the supplies I used for my wreath:
  • Styrofoam wreath form
  • Ribbon to wrap form in (25 ft)
  • Multiple pearlized pins
  • Several sheets of white and red felt
  • Brads for the center of felt flowers
  • Embroidery floss
  • Large needle
  • Nice scissors
  • Pipe cleaners
I simply wrapped the wreath form in ribbon (any type of ribbon will do but one that's not silky would probably stay put the best) and secured it to the back with the pearlized pins. Why use glue if you don't have to?



I created some felt flowers via this tutorial and also attached them using the pins.  



I wrapped the pipe cleaners around a pen to curl them and attached them as well.  

Here's the semi-finished product:


I thought I was done at this point but as the weeks went on, I kept staring at the wreath just thinking it needed something more.  I like clean and simple but NOT boring and I knew a few more layers would spice it up a bit and make it look more grown up.  I found this yarn and felt wreath tutorial online and went to town to up the umpf factor.

This time I needed:
Felt
Pom Poms
Pearlized Pins
A roll of tulle (a few dollars at JoAnns)
A glue gun

I started out with the rose-like flowers and was pleased with the ease that they came together.  They may look hard but trust me, you can't mess them up!  I was digging through my craft supplies and found the tulle and pom poms and decided it would make the wreath a little more exciting to add them too.  








I love using the pins to attach things because I can move them around if things aren't in the right spot.  It can be hard to commit to placement sometimes and this takes the stress out.

Here's a tip: always create a focal point when making a wreath with embellishments... either put all the weight on one point (I like it to be at 5 or 7 O'Clock) or offset it with the most visually weight-y (how's that for technical speak?) part at the bottom.

So now that the wreath project is officially done, I think I'm ready to make another one.  Possibly something green and white that I can hang on the door all year long.  Look at these for inspiration-they could easily be adapted to fit any color or holiday.


So what do you think, would you ever feel the urge to attempt a project like this?

3 comments:

  1. I always have the urge to attempt a project like that, but never do because, although I would consider myself crafty, I'm not THAT crafty :) You make it look really easy so maybe next year I will attempt making one. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete